Philippians 4:8-9, Acts 2:42
Being committed to learning more about Jesus
- Do you consider learning to be an important part of your Christian life? Why/why not?
- Why do you think their commitment to learning (devotion to the apostles teaching, Acts 2:42) is the first thing Luke tells about the new followers of Jesus? Why is learning important?
- Luke describes the new believers as devoted to the apostles teaching (Acts 2:42).
- What does the word devoted tell you about their attitude?
- Would you use the word ‘devoted’ to describe your attitude to learning more about Jesus? Why/ why not? [Does your answer bother you or not?]
- In Phil 4:8 Paul gives a list of things on which focus our minds.
- How does having the right focus develop devotion to learning?
- What sort of things do you find tend to occupy your mind? How would using this list assist you to have a more helpful focus?
- Look at Acts 2:42 & 44: both these verses describe group-activity.
- Do you think being part of a group encourages you to learn more effectively?
- What kind of group activities help you to learn?
- In Colossians 3:16-17, Paul tells the church to “let the message of Christ dwell among you richly” How can you allow the message of Christ to dwell in your life – what do you think Paul is saying here?
- The Colossian Christians are encouraged to “teach and admonish [or caution]” one another?
- Do you ever think of your church community as a place where you are taught and challenged by one another?
- Do you think of yourself as someone who can teach and challenge others?
- Paul offers himself as an example to the church at Philippi (v.9). Is there anyone you admire whose life serves as an example to you? What things from their life can you seek to put into practice in your own?
- We need to be discerning about the teachers we listen to. Look at Matthew 7:15-17.
- How can you judge whether a teacher is worth listening to or not?
- Is it easy to get taken in by teachers who claim to honour God, but whose lives do not?
- What one thing can you do to build a habit of learning in your life? Commit yourself to developing this habit – it may help to tell someone else about your decision so they can remind you about it.